Marques Bolden To Remain At Duke, Will Not Transfer

    Duke center Marques Bolden is returning to Durham for the 2017-18 season. There had been rumblings that the former high-star player may have been looking to leave the Blue Devils.

    April 4, 2017

    Duke center Marques Bolden is returning to Durham for the 2017-18 season. There had been rumblings that the former high-star player may have been looking to leave the Blue Devils.


    Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski is losing a lot of talent from his 2016-17 squad. Marques Bolden, however, apparently will not be one of the players leaving Durham.

    After rumors surfaced that the freshman center was possibly looking to bolt the Blue Devils due to an inability to log consistent playing time in 2016-17, Bolden announced that he will be returning to the school for his sophomore campaign.

    “Despite rumors about my future that have circulated in recent days, I’m excited to announce that I’ll be returning to Duke for my sophomore year,” Bolden said in a statement. “I have unbelievable support from my family, teammates and coaches. I’m ready to get to work for next season and I’m excited for what should be a great year for our program.”

    The former five-star recruit played in 24 games as a freshman, but he struggled to find consistent time in the rotation, averaging just 1.5 points and 1.1 rebounds in 6.5 minutes per contest. The 6-foot-11, 245-pounder arrived at Duke as one of the more highly rated players in his class. But injuries to his lower leg slowed his adjustment to the college level, and he never looked quite comfortable on the court. He showed flashes of his potential, though, with his best effort coming when he notched eight points and four rebounds in a January win over Miami.

    Bolden should have a chance to see significant action in ’17-18 after a full offseason of conditioning for a team that is losing a slew of bodies. Frontcourt players Chase Jeter and Sean Obi have already decided to transfer, Jayson Tatum and Harry Giles are leaving for the NBA, while Matt Jones and Amile Jefferson have exhausted their eligibility.

    “We’re thrilled that Marques will continue to be part of our program,” Krzyzewski said. “In addition to being a talented basketball player, he’s an outstanding young man from a great family. It’s unfortunate that his freshman season was impacted by injury, but he has an opportunity to have a great summer and a special sophomore season.”

    MORE: Isaiah Hicks Deserved His Moment In UNC’s Redemption Story

    DOWNLOAD THE APP

    Have the full Stadium experience

    Watch with friends

    Get rewards

    Join the discussion